Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Introduction

LOST ReDux was born out of the entire Lost experience. Much of Lost was about questions and mysteries. Connections and consequences. It was about an amazing tale told in an amazing way.

I certainly have loved that experience.

But as the final season ended I was left with a lot of questions. LOST ReDUX has been about trying to find answers. And in the end those answers became their own story.

Sure, you can't ever really re-imagine anything that's been done, because you have the benefit of seeing what didn't work. But I tried to see the threads of the story the creators laid out, and followed those to their natural end.

Some of my issues came with Season 6's flashes. I was skeptical at first, and then in the end truly loved seeing everyone in a new light. When it was revealed what that flash was I was really disappointed. One of the cardinal rules of writing is to not have the story be a dream. And while this wasn't a dream, it was eerily close. Mainly I guess I just wanted those characters to go on, as I came to love those threads.

Which lead me to this REDUX. Its built on the same tracks as Season 6. Structurally it follows a Flash-sideways and even ends in a similar place. But there were points that didn't come up in the final season that I wanted to see.

The series really was about questions. And in the process I came to understand how difficult crafting any LOST tale is. For me the Island was a place of mystery and adventure. That's what I tried to capture.


No comments:

Post a Comment